June 23, 2015

to the holy city

I'm not an overly emotional person.

Dramatic? Yes. Emotional? Not so much.

Unless we're talking about the movie Up. That totally changes my emotional game. 

I debated even writing about this, but I have been so incredibly moved by my home, my beloved Charleston. Charleston experienced an absolute horrible tragedy last week. I'm sure by now you've gotten the media's take on it, and you've also gotten your 800+ Facebook friends' thoughts and opinions on it, as well. 

While everyone was arguing, bashing, reasoning, and forcing his or her opinion or reasoning down other's throats this was happening:
And this:
And this:
All images: Post and Courier 

To me, what it boils down to is a person thinking he was better or superior than other people. In this instance it was over race, but we've seen it time and time again over race, sexuality, religion--any aspect of a life that makes it different than someone else's life. When will we, as humans, stop deciding that we are better than others? No matter what the reason. 

We are all important. We all have a purpose. We do not get to decide wrongly who gets to live or die. Who has worth and who doesn't. Spoiler alert: we all do.

It has been and still is breathtakingly beautiful, overwhelming, powerful, add in a thousand more synonyms to this, to watch how Charleston has dealt with this tragedy. I have never been so proud to have had the privilege to call a place home. Charleston, you are something else. 

So like I said, I'm not an overly emotional person...unless it has to do with the movie Up. Or with the hugs, tears, support, love, love, love, and unity shown by the strongest of the strong, Chucktown.

I'll leave you with this video from the Unity Chain on Sunday Night. 

Beautiful in every way. I'll be over here crying happy tears for this profound example of hope, love, and a better tomorrow. No matter where Ricky and I end up, Charleston will always have a big ol' piece of my heart. 
Charleston Strong. 

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Beautifully said. We all have worth...love that. Thanks for this post!

And So I Did said...

I agree with everything you said. Hugs to you and the beautiful Charleston.

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

Sooo true! I don't understand people who think they're better than others for any reason. Thank you for this post, it's great to see how Charleston is sticking together after this tragedy.

Erin LFF said...

So beautifully written, my friend! What moving photos too.