July 17, 2015

number eleven

Wednesday was my birthday. My birthday! Are you tired of me writing about birthdays on the blog yet?! 
Remember here when I asked all of you to plan my birthday for me? Yes. You did a brilliant job planning! Pat yo selves on yo backs.

Good news is I did do one thing on the list (wassup happy hour!), and not bad news I last minute changed my mind and ended up picking #11

Gasp! 11! That wasn't even on the list! 

You see, I spent the four days leading up to my birthday in the beautiful lands of San Diego. And let me tell you, San Diego is so beautiful. Then I flew home on my birth-morning (and lost two whole freaking hours off of my birthday since I was flying east. Horrors.) and got back to Texas only to have a couple rough birthday hours later in the day. 

Ain't no thang because my Freddiehusband and our friends, R Squared, went out and partied the night away. They didn't care that it was a week night. They didn't care that the restaurant said sake bombs weren't allowed. We took one anyways! Take that, restaurant! I have a feeling 26 is going to be my most rebellious year yet (not not not). 

You see, the problem with birthdays is that adult birthdays never end up being like kid birthdays, and kid birthdays are the best birthdays. You always end up a little disappointed on adult birthdays. Anyone mentally hash tagging first world adult probs right now? I'm totes fine with that. 

Fret not, adults. There is a solution! I found the secret. As I looked back on Wednesday and the days leading up to Wednesday I realized that my life is so rich, my heart (and belly) is full (food baby), and I'm...so beyond bleeping thankful for it all.

Adult birthdays aren't about stupid birthday expectations. They aren't about bouncy houses (but maybe they should be). They aren't about princess crowns or trick candles. 

They're about being surrounded by the best kind of presents: friendships

Yes, San Diego is so beautiful, but guess what? Spending non-stop time with Wi was even better than all the views and sunsets. Pinky promise and sealed with a kiss and all that. Having a husband and friends who stay out way too late on a week night just to play shuffleboard with one hand and drink beer with the other because birthday, duh!--that's golden. These are the kind of birthday plans that don't disappoint. 

So there ya go. That's why I chose #11-Be surrounded by the best of friends as my birthday plan. And trust me, I definitely made the right choice. 

4 comments:

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

I'm glad your birthday ended up being great! And I say let's bring back bouncy houses! I'll have one for my birthday this year. You're invited.

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

aw #11 sounds like the best possible choice for your birthday celebration. i love spending time with the people i love on my birthday.

Helene in Between said...

sounds like you had the perfect birthday celebration fit just for you!

Kayla MKOY said...

I love this! birthdays are like my favorite things ever. They are a big deal in our family!!!! We love to celebrate!!! I'm glad you got to spend time with some people you love the most :)