December 30, 2015

Dr. Gnocchi

People always say, Marriage is hard work. Then those people who always say those things start to list off all the ways marriage is hard. 

He snores a lot.
Money is stressful.
Men smell.
Women are needy. <<<men are just as needy. Can I get an amen?
Fighting is healthy.
Fighting is unhealthy. 
Be patient.
Forgive.
Compromise.

But you know the hardest thing about marriage that no one ever tells you/no one ever told me?Surprising your spouse when it comes to Christmas presents. 

AM I RIGHT?! It's virtually impossible. This year I was sent a link to a one day only sale of all 007 movies on Blu-ray (digital copies included), and a spot saved for Spectre included. Along with the link I was told, If you don't get me this for Christmas I will be getting this for myself. Sale ends tonight.

Oh, okay. Well, shoot. Santa can't work in these conditions! The rest of the day Freddie kept asking me/Santa if I/he had purchased it yet, and I kept having to say, Don't worry about it.

Which, duh! Everyone knows that when presents on are the line, don't worry about it means YES! I PURCHASED THAT GIFT FOR YOU. NOW SHUT UP. 

But yadda yadda yadda, Christmas came and left, Freddie got his entire 007 Blu-ray collection (surprise!), and I even managed to surprise him with an Xbox One so suck it, you hard-working marriage. Somewhere around hour eight of our thirteen-hour road trip back to Texas, Freddie got tired of hearing me asking him questions about life so he decided to come up with a plan.

One night every week we watch a James Bond movie, in order, and cook a dinner that goes along with it somehow. 

With our watching one once a week, it will still take us six months to get through them all. Six months of a guaranteed in-house date night?! Six months of Chef Freddie creations?! I didn't care if he was trying to shut up my road trip talk, I jumped on this deal and agreed to his 007 plan. 

You are now entering Monday Funday 007-day at the Weiss household.
First up was Dr. No
A.K.A. - Dubliner and Ricotta cheese gNocchi. With chorizo. Because chorizo rhymes with no, so work with me here, people. 

Pro-tip:
When making gnocchi, always triple and/or quadruple the amount of flour. Trust me. Not only will it make the gnocchi work and taste better, it will also make you and your spouse work together better. Hashtag I do not belong in the kitchen. 
It was delicious, and totally worth the stress of the mysterious amount of flour needed. Also! Santa brought Freddie that gnocchi paddle for Christmas and guess what? It definitely helps the sauce stick to the gnocchi better (that is sarcasm. We could tell no difference, but we don't want to hurt Santa's feelings now do we?). 

Look, even Lu-ster wanted some, and he's a picky eater. 
Up next week: From Russia With Love.
Spoiler alert: I will not be drinking a White Russian. Barf. 

7 comments:

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

UGHHH gnocchi is the best thing ever. I've never made it. And can't because of Michael's dumb gluten issues. Hashtag gluten issues are the worst.

Carly Messmer said...

The gnocchi looks delish! And agree on trying to surprise gifts. We share a credit card, so Adam isn't allowed to look at the charges until after Christmas. Lots of trust on that one.

Kayla MKOY said...

What a FUN IDEA!!! Oh my goodness. I love it! I've always wanted to make gnocchi! I love your marriage ;)

It is so fun to prep for Christmas but also so hard to surprise Caleb. We always keep our gifts in separate rooms and neither of us are allowed in the whole month leading up to Christmas, and we svn wrap in separate rooms, ha!

Amanda Elizabeth - Meet @ the Barre said...

I am very impressed with those cooking skills and yes trying to buy my husband a Christmas present is darn near impossible!

Laura Darling said...

Surprising each other is definitely hard! Especially when you have a shared bank account! I still managed to pull off a few surprises this year though! And that gnocchi looks delicious!

The Girl who Loved to Write said...

This is a great gift!! And I'm with you-it's SO hard!

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

surprising each other is so hard! you guys are so adorable though. we are not this cool or adorable, but i did tell KC this year we are going to make a new meal for each other every other sunday (me then him then me etc etc) but i doubt either of us will be making gnocchi. or watching the bond movies. maybe. happy NYE girl!